Freeman's First Date
Freeman's First Date is a cocktail that will take you back to the 90s, when you roamed the mall, Orange Julius in hand. This Old Fashioned riff features Orange Tiger, Plantation Pineapple Rum, and Zaya Rum, blended together with a touch of Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur and vanilla syrup, for a creamy and citrusy cocktail that will transport you back to your mall days.
Quick note: While we usually recommend that you just use your favorite spirits in these cocktails, the pineapple in Plantation Pineapple and the strong vanilla notes in the Zaya are pretty essential for this cocktail.
- 1 oz Orange Tiger Bourbon Barrel-Aged Orange Liqueur
- 3/4 oz Plantation Pineapple Rum
- 1/2 oz Zaya Rum
- 1/2 oz Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur
- 1/2 oz vanilla syrup (recipe below)
- 1/4 oz rye whiskey
- 2 dashes Angostura bitters
- 2 dashes orange bitters
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise
Mix it up
- To make the vanilla syrup, combine water and sugar in a small saucepan and heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the split vanilla bean and continue to heat for 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the mixture has thickened and become syrupy.
- Remove the pan from the heat and let the syrup cool.
- Once cooled, remove the vanilla bean and transfer the syrup to a clean jar or bottle for storage.
- In a mixing glass or shaker, combine Orange Tiger Bourbon Barrel-Aged Orange Liqueur, Plantation Pineapple Rum, Zaya Rum, Solerno Blood Orange Liqueur, vanilla syrup, rye whiskey, and both Angostura and orange bitters.
- Add ice and stir or shake for about 10-15 seconds, until the ingredients are well combined and chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a rocks glass filled with ice.
- Garnish with a slice of blood orange or orange peel.