The Bloody Mary is a classic and versatile cocktail that can be customized with different base spirits (our favorite is Barrel-Aged East Side Gin!). We make ours with Lawson's Bloody Mary Mix and fresh lime juice, which brightens up this savory classic. Rolling the cocktail ensures that the ingredients are well mixed without over-diluting the drink.
Mix it up
- Fill a mixing glass or cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add Lawson's Bloody Mary Mix, fresh lime juice, and your choice of base spirit (Heart of Gold Vodka, Maumee Moonshine, or East Side Gin).
- Add celery salt, black pepper, and hot sauce to taste. You can also customize the level of spiciness by adjusting the amount of hot sauce you use.
- Roll the cocktail from one container to another, back and forth, for about 10-15 seconds to mix the ingredients well without over-diluting the drink.
- Strain the mixture into a highball or Collins glass filled with ice.
- Add optional garnishes, such as celery, olives, pickles, bacon, or shrimp, as desired.
Sweat the Technique
Rolling the cocktail
- To roll a cocktail, you first fill a mixing glass or cocktail shaker with ice.
- Add the ingredients for your cocktail, being sure to include all liquids and any other ingredients that require mixing.
- Hold a second, empty mixing glass or cocktail shaker above the first glass or shaker, and pour the mixture back and forth between the two containers, allowing the ingredients to roll from one to the other. Try to get some space between the two containers.
- Continue this process for 30 seconds to a minute, or until the ingredients are well mixed and the cocktail is chilled.
- Strain the mixture into a glass and enjoy.